Welcome to Rathbun House
When your family is going through a medical crisis, the last thing you should have to worry about is where you can spend the night. Rathbun House is a home away from home, providing a caring and supportive environment where families and caregivers can stay at no charge for up to 14 days while loved ones receive treatment at Asheville area healthcare facilities.
Opened in 1994 by the late local philanthropist Adelaide Key, Rathbun House provides a home-like environment for families and caregivers who are accompanying patients receiving medical care at an Asheville hospital.
In January 2019, WNC Bridge Foundation assumed ownership and financial responsibility for Rathbun House.
WNC Bridge Foundation is responsible for supporting the annual operations and upkeep for the not-for profit Rathbun House, the only hospitality house in WNC. Financial gifts Rathbun House receives from the generosity of its donors are also crucial to assisting in the ongoing support of this community treasure.
Eligibility to Stay at the Rathbun House
Admission to the Rathbun House is by referral only. To start the process, contact your hospital-based case manager, social worker, discharge planner or nurse navigator, and they will complete the referral form. The following will help you better understand the process and eligibility:
- All guests must live outside Buncombe County
- Maximum occupancy of two guests per room and one room per patient family
- Guests must be family members or caregivers of patients receiving inpatient care or outpatients receiving therapeutic care or outpatient surgical procedures
- Room requests cannot be accepted more than 48 hours in advance
- Guests may stay up to 14 days
- Referrals are accepted from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., and referrals received after 5 p.m. will be processed the next day
- Returning guests may make their own request if they have stayed at Rathbun House during the calendar year
- Please note that a room request does not guarantee a room. They are assigned on a space-available basis
While You Are Our Guest
To ensure that all of our guests are safe and can enjoy their time with us, please note the following policies.
- Check-in time is from 1:00 pm – 6:30 pm
- Guests should sign in and out when leaving the property. The front desk is open 24 hours a day, and a security officer is on-site from
8 am – 8 pm.
- At check-in we supply linens and towels to you for your room. We ask that you leave your room as clean when you leave as it was when you arrived. Cleaning supplies are provided.
- At check-in you will be asked to provide a driver’s license or photo ID
- Smoking is not permitted in the house or on the porches
- Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, weapons and pets (other than service dogs) are not allowed on the premises
- Entry after 10 pm by registered guests is only available by prior arrangement with the House Manager
- Children must be supervised at all times by an adult
- Guests may be away from their room for two nights
The Rathbun House is situated on 17 wooded acres within five blocks of Mission Hospital, two miles from CarePartners Rehabilitation Hospital and five miles from the VA Medical Center.
121 Sherwood Road
Asheville, NC 28803
Admission to the Rathbun House is by referral only. Please contact the patient’s case manager for more information. If you do need to contact the Rathbun House directly, call 828-251-0595.